Simple but pretty. “Soba choko” cups / “Wamon” by BABA SHOTEN
The lovely pop colored cups “Soba choko” are produced by HASAMI.
The small pottery cups are called “Soba choko”. Soba choko means “Small cup for Soba”. As the name suggests, the cups are often used for eating soba, but now they can be used for various ways such as ice cream cups or candle cups.
There are various cute soba choko and a large number of soba choko collectors in Japan.
The elegant patterns are “Edo-komon”, traditional Japanese kimono patterns from the 17th century. The names of each pattern are;
- Blue: “Tatewaku” It had been used for noblemen and the royal family’s Kimonos.
- Red: “Shippo” It means eternal wealth.
- Green: “Ajiro” It represents a fishing net.
- Yellow: “Soroban-jima” It represents an abacus.
- Purple: “Matsukawa-bishi” It represents the bark of a pine tree.
The cups are useful for daily meals and casual parties. Why don’t you collect all of the colors?